Skip to main content

Student-Residency Questions Prompt Advice From Student Affairs

Recent questions have been raised about how students are identified as in-state and out-of-state for the purposes of tuition at Penn College. Employees are encouraged to read Policy and Procedure 5.25, “Determination of Eligibility for Reclassification as a Pennsylvania Resident for Tuition Purposes,” and students should visit the Student Rights & Responsibilities Web site for complete information.

In general, a student is classified as a resident of Pennsylvania, for the purpose of in-state tuition rates, if the student has established a domicile in Pennsylvania and whose presence in the state is not primarily for educational purposes.

  • A student under the age of 21 is presumed to have the domicile of his/her parent/guardian, unless the student has maintained continuous residence in Pennsylvania for purposes other than education for a period of at least 12 months prior to initial enrollment at Penn College
  • A student over 21 who has resided in Pennsylvania for other than educational purposes for at least a period of 12 months immediately preceding his/her initial enrollment at Penn College is presumed to have a Pennsylvania domicile
  • A student requesting classification as a Pennsylvania resident must be a citizen of the United States or have indicated by formal action his/her intention of becoming a citizen
  • United States government employee or member of the armed forces who was a resident of Pennsylvania immediately preceding his/her entry into governmental services and who has continuously maintained Pennsylvania as his/her domicile will be presumed to have a Pennsylvania domicile
  • Military personnel and their dependents who are assigned to active duty in Pennsylvania and reside in this state shall be charged in-state tuition rates

Students who wish to appeal their residency classification should contact the Student Affairs Officeby e-mail or at (570) 320-2400, ext. 7487.

Subscribe to PCToday Daily Email.