Pennsylvania College of Technology has presented a Mentorship Award to Christopher Kendig/Komori America Corp. for their continuing support of the college’s graphic communications program.
The presentation was made duringSaturday’s Summer Commencement ceremony at the Community Arts Center, Williamsport. The Mentorship Award recognizes alumni and/or businesses that have made significant or ongoing contributions to the education and development of Penn College students.
Toyko-based Komori Corp. is a premier manufacturer of sheet-fed and web offset printing presses. Komori America Corp., which manages a sales and service organization throughout North America, is headquartered in Rolling Meadows, Ill.
Kendig, a district sales manager for Komori America Corp., has worked with Penn College faculty, staff and students for the past six-plus years. The relationship began with a presentation to graphic communications students working on senior “capstone” projects. That effort was well-received, leading to additional initiatives.
Mentoring efforts conducted by Kendig/Komori over the years include:
- Arranging/funding a two-day trip to six printing companies in the Baltimore area, allowing Penn College capstone seniors to tour facilities, meet with senior managers and attend an industry awards banquet
- Coordinating/funding a two-day field trip to the Washington, D.C., area in which capstone seniors toured the U.S. Senate printing facility and the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Organizing a two-day trip to the Lancaster-York area, where students toured facilities for small commercial firms and printing-industry giants, met with senior industry managers and attended a “reunion” dinner with graduates of Penn College and Williamsport Area Community College (the college’s immediate forerunner)
- Assisting a number Penn College graduates in securing high-quality employment within the industry
- Providing students who attend a large industry trade show in Chicago each fall with demonstrations, information and introductions to key Komori personnel
- Participating in Penn College Advisory Committee meetings and in practice interview sessions for students
- Promoting the college’s graphic communications program to a variety of industry clients
For more information about Komori America Corp., visit online .